Thursday 29 December 2016

Susoyoke

こんにちは、みんなさん
After a busy Christmas season, I had some time to work a bit on the juban, a very necessary part of my henshin. Maiko wear a two-piece juban, consisting of the top (han-juban) and the bottom (susoyoke). I bought an 100x150cm piece of red fabric, which was enough to create the susoyoke, with fabric left behind that should be enough to make the han'eri, juban collar, chinkoro, hanao, obiage and kanoko cloth. However I'll have to go out and buy some more fabric to make the sleeves, which I might do tomorrow, and while I'm at it I'll buy some pink and white fabric too, the pink fabric being needed to make the hana kanzashi. Though I'm guessing I will work on the Hana kanzashi over my 2-week long winter break, in January, since I'll have plenty of time on my hands ^-^*~

Now, about the susoyoke- this is the bottom part of the juban, the skirt part, which is visible when the maiko lifts her hikizuri when walking, or at some points during dance when the hem must be lifted. Maiko have this red with white patterns, while I've seen different colours on geiko, such as pink and sky blue.
Some example pictures are below;
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/14/4a/df/144adf4b68e1a6edceaaaa88da0df537.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3702/8846297700_9483927490_m.jpg
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5227/5553116545_9534540e49.jpg

Seeing as my henshin is a maiko in April, I decided to paint a Sakura pattern. I made a stencil and used lots of white acrylic paint, then spent 2 hours painting on the design. The end result isn't exactly as good as I wanted it to be, but when I tried it on it turned out it isn't as bad as I thought, so I think it'll do.
Apologies for my lack of tabi- they're on their way, and also the fact I used a red belt to tie it in place as I don't have any himo yet. It's a little short, so when I buy white fabric I'll sew it on as an extender, which is on real maiko susoyoke. This part took me a little longer than expected, but I'm glad that's done now >-< I'm hoping to get the sleeves done by the winter break in January, perhaps something I can start working on as soon as I get the fabric, then maybe I can work on it at weekends/ after school. I'm hoping to work on the eri soon too, I've already done a little trial of the pattern; I will do it using the recently learnt split stitch, in a pattern like this;
https://www.msistone.com/tile-floor-patterns/images/line_drawing_thumb/Floor%20Pattern%20Tool_2015_Diamond_thumb.png
I think I've seen this pattern on a maiko's eri before, but I can't remember where I saw that >-<

Alright, that's all for today! I'll try to give this blog a makeover as I haven't started on that yet, and I hope everyone had a lovely holiday season ^-^ 
さようなら、またね


No comments:

Post a Comment